Sunday, April 24, 2011

Spring Break - Part 1

Let me just start this by saying I've noticed that I have a stream-of-consciousness "style" of writing. And by "style", I mean I write whatever the hell pops in my head ... going off on tangents, giving "side notes" that have no purpose, and often asking questions and then answering them myself. This can sometimes cause my posts to be extremely too long (I'm a big fan of giving details ... sometimes the unnecessary ones). I hope this doesn't bother anyone. I know Suzy (my dear friend, the English teacher) probably cringes when she reads my run-on-sentence-filled ramblings and my invented grammar. Suzy please don't let your mother read this, she'd never talk to me again. Or my mother for that matter. Oh well. It's how I talk, so it's how I write. Here we go.

So, I'm not really a fan of doctors and dentists (not the people, just what they do), but I have especially been dreading getting my wisdom teeth taken out. My dentist told me over a year ago that I should probably start that process. I didn't. When I went back to my dentist in the fall, he went ahead and faxed my referral over to an oral surgeon's office and told me I needed to follow up in the next couple weeks. I didn't. Until January (nearly 5 months later). I went for my consultation and they didn't do anything (they just took x-rays - nothing scary). They were all perfectly nice and helpful and they asked me if I'd like to schedule my surgery and I said no thanks. I promised I'd go home and look at my calendar and be sure to call them that week to make my appointment. I didn't. Until February. When I finally decided it would be better to just get it over with (and my 6 month dentist check-up was quickly approaching and I couldn't tell my handsome sweet dentist that I still hadn't scheduled the surgery). So I asked Christopher what days he would be off during my spring break, and I called to schedule what I had been dreading since high school.

I don't actually remember exactly what I did to kick off my spring break weekend ... I know I went to church, probably went out to eat with my family, most likely slept late ... all the makings of a lazy vacation. Until Monday when I had a dermatologist appointment (this doesn't have anything to do with my wisdom teeth, but it helps to set up just how relaxing this break was for me). A few months ago I found a little bump on my skin that wasn't going away with regular facewash, so my general practitioner referred me to an excellent dermatologist. I went a few weeks ago and he decided that he needed to biopsy the bump (which means he stuck a giant needle in my face to numb the area and then sliced it off - very pleasant). The results came back as an angio-something, which is usually a result of a genetic disorder ... blah blah blah. He told me not to be worried, but I needed to come back to get a full body scan to see if he could find any more of the bumps. So that's what I was doing on Monday. Let me tell you, if you've never sat in front of your dermatologist in just your undergarments (and a paper sheet to hold in front of you) ... it is unlike any mortification I can explain. You're seriously more covered during an OBGYN appointment (until the actual exam). Anyway ... my doctor couldn't find any more of the bumps (Yay!) but just to be sure that I don't have either of the two genetic disorders associated with these angiothings ... he said I needed to get some bloodwork done. Have I mentioned how much I dislike needles? No? It's worse than my disdain of doctors. So I decided to go straight to Labcorp to get it over with. Too bad for me because one of the tests is an insulin test, and you can't eat 6-8 hours before, so I couldn't do it. Well what do you know? I can't eat before my wisdom teeth surgery on Wednesday, so I ask them if I can come back before my surgery to get my bloodwork done. You know, kill two unpleasant birds with one stone.

So now I'm really really REALLY dreading Wednesday. I tried to enjoy Tuesday as much as I could ... I slept late and then took balloons to Christopher's store (it was the 1 year anniversary of the Waffle House being open in Moonville!) After that, I met my mom and sister for lunch at Brick Street Cafe (delicious doesn't even begin to describe ... if you haven't had their "Best chocolate cake I've ever had", you're missing out). On Tuesday night, Christopher and I had a personal training session and I'm actually starting to enjoy working out, so that was good, too. We had supper and then I tried not to think about what I had to do the next day. I didn't sleep very much that night.

Wednesday morning. Christopher got up at 5:30 to play basketball at Earle Street (he loves when he doesn't have to work and he gets to play basketball with his friends at church). I woke up, took a shower, and lied in the bed until he came home and took a shower and we were both ready to go. We went to Labcorp at about 9:00. We were seriously in and out of there in about 15 minutes and I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was. The woman (nurse I guess?) talked during the whole thing - none of that "Okay, are you ready? I'm going to put the needle in on the count of 3. Here we go." Does that actually help anyone? I doubt it. My wisdom teeth appointment wasn't until 11:00, so Christopher and I came home and watched some recorded TV - two of our favorites, How I Met Your Mother and Glee. I was enjoying my television shows so much, I almost forgot what I had to do next ... but not quite.

Okay, this is getting quite lengthy and I haven't even gotten to my surgery yet, so I'm going to stop there for now. I'll go ahead and start the next post, but I have a feeling I won't finish it until tomorrow. Until then ...

1 comment:

  1. i know i say this every comment but i am so proud of your new found love for blogging. and that youve neglected the neglect :)

    keep 'em coming!